Wednesday 8 May 2013

Pain and Gain Review

      Seems like in the past year, I've gone to the theater with awfully wrong perceptions of the movies I've paid to see. Much like Magic Mike and Spring Breakers, I went into the theater expecting Pain and Gain to be a fun comedy that didn't take itself too seriously, but what I got was something completely unexpected. Well I guess my expectation was only half wrong, the movie didn't take itself too seriously, but not in the way it should have... In case you don't know, this film is in fact based on the true story of abductions and murders in Florida in the 90's. Yet with such serious subject matter (and living descendants of those affected by these crimes), how could anyone involved in the production of this movie condone how it was made. Not only is the dialogue blatantly comedic, but with a supporting cast made up of well known comedians: Rebel Wilson, Ken Jeong and Rob Corddry, how can someone NOT interpret this movie as a comedy? I'm honestly disgusted at how much this film didn't take itself seriously.

     When the movie first started playing, my friend turned to me and said "is this a real story?" to which I assuredly, and honestly, replied "No, no of course not!" Even though the narrator of the film had mentioned it was based on reality, it had been so brief and nonchalant that I didn't believe it, thought it was simply for effect. As the movie progressed, I found myself laughing at the performances of Mark Wahlberg, Dwayne Johnson, and Anthony Mackie, and thought the film was completely bizarre (but hey! I've always been a fan of the abnormal). Honestly, I was enjoying it (although it was no masterpiece) until the credits rolled, and the awful reality of the nature of the movie was completely revealed. I  felt my jaw drop, and angrily turned back to my friend and said "IT WAS REAL?!" In that moment I had felt SO AWFUL for enjoying the film and laughing along with the actors; I just couldn't believe it... I felt tricked.

     Films based on upsetting true stories should make you feel any emotion besides glee. I mean, look at  films like Changeling and Boys Don't Cry; they make you angry, sad, even outraged at society, they don't, and SHOULDN'T make you laugh, right?

 As much as I adore Mark Wahlberg, I can, in no way, adore this movie. This movie was made in bad taste, and is COMPLETELY disrespectful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages