Friday 2 November 2012

Catwoman


Although it's been a signature costume for decades, Catwoman costumes were more popular than ever this Halloween. All the pictures I had seen with girls dressing up in that iconic leather suit got me thinking about the character itself. Michelle Pfeiffer's performance as Catwoman 20 years ago, in Batman Returns, has spawned so much influence over the years: from Halle Berry's underwhelming performance in 2005 to Anne Hathaway's most recent take on the character. Although Pfeiffer has been interviewed saying she doesn't believe there has ever been a bad Catwoman, I humbly disagree. In all honesty, I was a tad bit disappointed in The Dark Knight Rises this summer; not only did the plot drag on far too long (in my opinion), but I felt that Catwoman wasn't as dominant a force in the plot as she should have been. Catwoman represents independence, ferocity, and above all sex appeal, none of which I felt was strongly presented in the film. I've always loved Anne Hathaway's elegant and shy persona, and I think that was the problem with the casting. She did well with the character and made it work, but I don't feel like 'making it work' was enough for the conclusion of one of the most popular trilogies in film history. Here's where a little opinion comes into play, I personally think that a better choice for Catwoman for the film would have been Mila Kunis. She could have flawlessly acted out the serious side and somewhat sarcastically playful banter of Selina Kyle; not to mention her big, cat-like eyes, husky voice, and acting chops (we've all seen her in Black Swan) would have been perfect for such a character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages