Thursday 1 November 2012

Actors Who've Overstayed Their Welcome in the Film Industry


                I know we've all sat in a dark theater and a preview of an upcoming mediocre-looking movie, starring a beloved actor, starts playing. I also know that most of us have turned to our friends and whispered "I can't believe they're doing that." I, like most of you, can never fully wrap my head around the fact that some actors have fallen so hard that they'll act in almost anything for a paycheck; whether it's their usual typecast role, a poorly scripted movie, or just plain bad. Here's a few actors who have fallen off their respective movie horses...

Nicolas Cage

When he's good, he's good (Raising Arizona anyone?).. but when he's bad, he's really bad (and I mean REALLY bad) Next, Knowing, The Sorcerer's Apprentice, and Ghostrider are a few of his more recent...uh.. masterpieces? Not trying to over exaggerate the crappiness of these movies, but if I had to choose between Ghostrider 3 and getting the Spanish Influenza, I'd most likely choose the latter. It's hard to believe that this once successful actor has resorted making many less than successful movies. It's even harder to believe that I'll still have to sit through at least four crappy Nicolas Cage previews a year.

Johnny Depp

Edward Scissorhands is one of my favorite movies, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was basically my entire childhood, and I will forever love What's Eating Gilbert Grape. If you know me well, you know I used to love Johnny Depp unconditionally; but as of recently it's been pretty difficult supporting him, his recent films aren't quite up to par with his past successes. His sure fire plan of filming Tim Burton films and the next installment of the quick-sinking Pirates of the Caribbean franchise is more than likely to quickly end his career. Playing an eccentric character used to be his signature trademark, but lately it seems to be his demise; audiences, not to mention myself, are getting so tired of seeing such a talented actor sticking with the same formula that made him famous in the first place.

Adam Sandler

I never liked Adam Sandler's recent film endeavours (Mr. Deeds doesn't count) nor did I really mind them; but since his last two live action releases, That's My Boy and Jack and Jill, I don't think I'll be able to handle another Happy Madison Production. Not only has Adam Sandler been spitting out one terribly offensive film after the other, but he's bringing down top notch actors, eager for a paycheck, down with him by casting them in his movies  (Al Pacino in Jack and Jill, as well as James Caan and Susan Sarandon in That's My Boy). I guess misery really does like company. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages